The department offers the following guidelines for comprehensive exams in the subfields of Theory, American, Comparative, International Relations, Quantitative Methods, and Formal Theory.
- The Exam Period for all subfields is one or two days, with continuous blocks not to exceed 8 hours each.
- Each year the department chair will appoint one person in each subfield to coordinate exams in that field, on a rotating basis.
- Reading lists in Comparative, and in part Theory, will be negotiated between student and faculty.
- Exams will be offered once a year during the month of June. Re-takes are scheduled for September.
- Subfields will retain autonomy over all aspects of the exam process not specifically addressed above.
The rules for each specific sub-field exam can be found below.